We are approaching elections for the new PRSSA board for CWU. We are very excited for this upcoming year. If you have any interest in running for a position please print out the form attached to this post!
Internship opportunity with the Seattle Chamber of Commerce as an Event + Program Intern. If you think that this is you and still need to have an internship to graduate then click on the link below and apply!
CWU PRSSA Chapter invites you to hear from the National PRSSA President, Lauren Gray, on Monday, February 4 at 6 p.m. in Black Hall 201. The National PRSSA President will be Skyping into our chapter’s meeting for a unique one on one session with CWU students. About Lauren Gray: In addition to being the current PRSSA National President, Lauren Gray is a recent graduate of Western Carolina University. She was WCU chapter president from 2009-2011. She tweets @laurenkgray and blogs at http://www.laurenkgray.com/.
Need an internship? D&G Booking in Nashville, TN is looking for one possibly two interns to create a press kit for their upcoming fall tour. Also, they are looking for a Pacific Northwest Agent to book venues for their fall tour. Possible commission opportunities. Contact Aubrey Abbott for more information. email@example.com
At the January 15, 2013 meeting, we learned about a great opportunity CWU offers to student leaders… Did you know you can get a leadership transcript for your portfolio? Let CWU CLCE can create a Leadership Transcript for your portfolio that looks great for you to show an endorsed document for all the great things you’re doing at Central.
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or talk to Makaiya on the @CWUPRSSA Board!
Send your resume’ to one of our career counselors for review, and please allow up to 5 business days for a reply. Please include the following in your email:
- Phone Number
- Email Address
- Student ID #
Steps to Developing Your Resume
Step One: Gather Your Raw Material
- Personal Achievements (e.g., financing your education, overcoming obstacles)
- Education (e.g., classes related to your career goal, certifications, special training)
- Honors and Activities (e.g., student organizations, professional associations, scholarships, academic achievements)
- Volunteer Experience (e.g., church, civic groups, hospitals, tutoring, schools)
- Work Experience (e.g., paid/unpaid, part/full-time, internships, military)
- Career Related Skills (e.g., computer proficiency, foreign languages)
Step Two: Select The Information You Will Use – Focused and Clear
Step Three: Choose An Appropriate Resume Format
Reverse Chronological Resume Format
Functional Resume Format
- Older workers, since it minimizes dates.
- Career changers, since it outlines transferable work skills.
- Recent graduates who don’t have a lot of professional experience in their field but do have relevant course work or training.
- Returning employees, after an absence from the workforces, since it minimizes dates.
Combination Resume Format
- Each position you held involved a different job description.
- Have held internships/volunteer positions directly related to teaching.
- We recommend the Reverse Chronological resume for most students.
Resume Do’s and Don’ts
- Have someone proofread your resume
- Give a copy of your resume to each of your references
- Take a copy of your resume to the interview
- Change the keywords to fit the job
- Emphasize your positive points
- Omit any negatives
- Leave plenty of white space
- Include personal information i.e. sex, age, marital status, picture, etc.
- Be wordy
- Include false or “enhanced” information
Still looking for a local internship? Possibly one that is paid? Check out our Internship tab for some local opportunities that might be of interest to you!
If you missed out on our first official PRSSA meeting of the winter quarter and are disappointed that you missed the material? Then you are in luck! The powerpoint is up and if you have any questions then feel free to e-mail any of us. Hope to see you next week!
What is PRSSA to you? Do you know who your Board is? What exactly is it that we do for you and how do you benefit from it? Click here to answer all of these questions and feel free to ask more at the next meeting!
CWUPRSSA comes back from San Francisco with a lot of knowledge and learning new tools to educate many prosperous PR students in the future. Scroll over to the Press Releases tab to learn more about the conference and how it impacted the members that attended.